Thursday, September 16, 2010

Being Tested - My Son Decides Not To Listen

It is hard when you are dealing with a child who does not want to listen. I think everyone has been there. I'm also sure it is hard on teachers and others as well. As a homeschooling parent, I've found that line terribly blurred but it has given me into some new insight on why my son had fallen behind in the public education system.

Knowing that he has some special limitations, he apparently has used this to try to circumvent doing his work.

At first, I thought he really couldn't do it. We were working on math, but he loves math and he always does it so well. This was the first time he dug in his heels and started answering everything wrong. I couldn't understand it. Did I explain it wrong? I asked myself so many questions. Was it the autism affecting him? But this was a first... and we are still in our first week of homeschooling.

We struggled through and went to another lesson. And then another. A snail's pace marked our former breeze.

Is this something his public school teachers went through? Or was I inadequate to be doing this? My confidence was getting shaky, and then he did an obvious and glaring 'mistake'. No, he's not THAT foolish I said to myself.

He was dragging the lesson on because he knew that in public at a certain point they would stop. But I'm not public, and I'm not going to let him stop. After I explained that he would lose his privileges tomorrow if he did not start doing what he was supposed to in our home school class and that I was not going to let him skip the lesson, he suddenly perked up and started doing what he was suppose to do.

Sneaky. Testy! And... how very smart of him. T_T

I think I passed his test tonight.

Crossposted to Kid Cultivators
(we just joined them, they look so awesome!)

No comments:

Post a Comment