Friday, October 22, 2010

One Month of Single Parenting and Homeschooling - Thoughts

One month has flown by for us. I haven't had much time to update the blog but I wanted to share with everyone what one month can do to change your world when you homeschool. Especially when in that same month I become the defacto lead (and only) application developer for a multi-million dollar project at work. No pressure right? I'm only responsible for my son's education and carry the burdens of many at work.

Time Management became the motto of the month as I struggled with keeping up for my son and his challenges, and then trying to not work too late as well. Since I worked 8-5pm, our school usually starts around 5:30-6pm and goes until 10-11pm at night. Any time my work schedule messed up, led to us trying to shuffle school, and during the day, Nana would work to make sure vocab and concepts were worked on to ease the load of the night.

As I mentioned last month in our initial posting, we're using Verticy for our homeschooling curriculum. I do not think I could do homeschooling without this curriculum. I work on average 50 hrs a week, the joys of being salaried, and I simply do not have the time to plan lessons. I don't even have time to prep for the ones we have but these learning manuals from them have made homeschooling possible for my family. I am mother and father in our little house, the primary breadwinner and teacher. I was busy to begin with. At some point, I have to add Saturday classes for myself at college...

That also brings me to my number one answer when someone asks me how do I homeschool and maintain a stressful and challenging career... Sacrifice. I sacrifice everyday to give my son the very best in life. It is not easy. It is hard. But the rewards are worth it. To see my son improving by leaps and bounds just surprises me every day. This last month has shown me great sacrifice and great reward, and I think everyone should be homeschooling their children. Leave collegiate subjects for college days like they were during Revolutionary times, where our greatest heroes and changers of this world were home-educated. That's right, home-educated.

Anyways, I've lingered too much today on this blog post, we have Lesson 20 testing to finish still. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment