Friday, September 3, 2010

Gabe's Last Day at Public School

According to kiddo, it went fairly well. However, I am perturbed that he did not end up with his school supplies. We only sent them a couple weeks ago. I guess this is my 'donation' to the public school system of Georgia.

Some might think I'm being a bit annoying by mentioning this, but when the school year started, the supply sheet said that he was going to get to keep and use his own supplies so I bought a few extra special ones just for him. He doesn't have them anymore because apparently the teacher decided to group them up anyways. He's hurt. I'm hurt. But then this is just one more example why it was best to cut our losses now and leave the system. More on that in the next post.

However, there were bright points to the day outside of one teacher. Gabe's friends and friendly authority figures still want him to visit. And we will. I was especially touched by some of the events that he will still be allowed to take part in (as long as I or Nana are there of course). Those parts of the public school system I do not regret and I know I will miss.

Also, we are receiving unique opportunities to inform about homeschooling to others. I have to explain we are just starting, but people say I've done a good deal of research. It makes me blush.

An up-and-down sort of day, but it was a good day overall. We also got the chance to discuss my expectations for Gabe's behavior as a homeschooling student and as a household, we are well on our way. By Thursday, we'll have our curriculum delivered and I'll probably give him another week before starting so we have a chance to touch it all. But of course, if he wants to get started sooner, we will.

No comments:

Post a Comment