Friday, September 10, 2010

On Homesteading and Elitism

There is a rather diverse bunch of folks and such out there who home school. However, what really got to me the other day was hearing from another single parent. I think she was just looking for someone to do for her, I'm not sure, but the moment the A-word (that's Autism) came out of my mouth --- everything changed.

Suddenly, my son was unsuitable and that the children would not get along.

She never bothered to ask me what high-functioning meant. I can promise you that my son's technical skills will probably make most children weep. His mathematics are spot on. It is only his language skills that are lacking and that is in composition.

I think that is what hurt me the most because SHE pursued me to be her 'friend' and then when we talk, my son's little quirk is this elephant in the room.

Maybe we are made of kinder stuff in this household, but I'm sure we cannot be alone when we are open to anyone of any race, religion, creed, and ability.

Sigh... she even made it sound like I didn't belong on the mailing list I am on. I want to cuss her out, post her email, and do all sorts of bad things, but that is not in me. I won't even give her name except in this anonymous rant of sorts.

I wonder if this is a normal occurrence?

Parents have a right to choose association, but you are not helping me by pretending you don't mind but insist that the children won't get along. You're a bigot then. In fact, I'll be more inclined to think ill of you for being a liar as well. Be honest if you do not like the ways another family has and just say it. "I do not feel we should continue because I don't like/agree/am prejudiced ... insert whatever."

Don't be all wishy-washy acting. Grow a spine at least if you are going to be prejudiced and bigoted. I'll have more respect if you are strong in your beliefs than if you are washy.

Anyways, anyone else out there have this happen to them? Doesn't have to be autism, could be religion, race, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment