Saturday, October 30, 2010

First Test Pack and Daily Workbook Plug

We finally completed 20 lessons in ALL subjects.

We had to restart Phonics on a different level because Gabe was having so much trouble. I would have to spend hours going over sounds and working with him until he could achieve any sort of mastery. Prior to our switch in levels, 2.5 hrs was pretty standard just to get through what should be a 50 minute lessons. Now, in the lower level of Phonics, he is achieving the lesson in 50 minutes time and doing so much better. He is also focusing his pronunciation.

I now have a fair bit of scanning to do.

However, it feels good to have all lessons on track starting Monday with Lesson 21.

Now, a little plug. I went to the Atlanta education store, The SchoolBox, and came across these work books with TRADITIONAL writing for manuscript and cursive. I'm sorry, but I hate contemporary penmanship. Also, Gabe is not writing fluidly. Therefore, we are going back to basics and retraining his hand memory for manuscript. Next year, we will start on cursive. He will be a little behind cursive writing, but I think we'll catch up over the summer.

The workbooks we are using can be found at Evan-Moor. We are using Daily Practice Traditional Manuscript and Daily Practice Traditional Cursive. Because traditional penmanship is so hard to find, I already purchased the cursive. Nana, even with arthritis, has beautiful penmanship in the traditional method. I think she'll be great to help guide Gabe on his writing practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment